Table of contents:
1. What are the Toll Collect toll rates per kilometer 2022-2023?
2. How to calculate toll with IMPARGO?
3. What is Toll Collect?
4. Toll Collect Online Services
What are the Toll Collect toll rates per kilometer 2022-2023?
Since October 1, 2021, there have been new truck toll rates in Germany. The toll fee percentage for infrastructure costs will be retroactively reduced starting on October 28, 2020. However, the percentage of costs attributable to air pollution is increasing. The toll rates per kilometer vary depending on the emission class and are typically slightly lower.
When using toll roads, the total cost is calculated using a proportional toll rate for the infrastructure costs, air, noise, and noise pollution a vehicle or combination of vehicles causes. The amount of the toll is set by the Federal Highway Toll Act.
This table provides a summary and comparison of the current truck toll rates and those planned from January 1, 2023.
Toll Rate in Germany from January 1, 2023
|Euro Emission Class||Axle and Weight Class||Current toll rate (in cents/km)||Toll Rate from January 1, 2023 (in cents/km)||Change in cents||Percentage change|
|Euro 6||7.5-11.9 t||7,9||9,8||+1,9||+24,1%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||16,9||18,1||+1,2||+7,1%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||18,3||19,0||+0,7||+3,8%|
|Euro 5, EEV1||7.5-11.99 t||9,0||12,6||+3,6||+40,0%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||18,0||22,1||+4,1||+22,8%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||19,4||22,9||+3,5||+18,0%|
|Euro 4, Euro 3 + PRC 2*||7.5-11.99 t||10,1||14,0||+3,9||+38,6%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||19,1||23,9||+4,8||+25,1%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||20,5||25,4||+4,9||+23,9%|
|Euro 3, Euro 2 + PRC 1 *||7.5-11.99 t||13,4||17,1||+3,7||+27,6%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||22,4||29,3||+6,9||+30,8%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||23,8||31,6||+7,8||+32,8%|
|Euro 2||7.5-11.99 t||14,5||19,6||+5,1||+35,2%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||23,5||32,3||+8,8||+37,4%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||24,9||34,9||+10,0||+40,2%|
|Euro 1, Euro 0||7.5-11.99 t||15,6||19,7||+4,1||+26,3%|
|>18 t to 3 axles**||24,6||32,8||+8,2||+33,3%|
|>18 t from 4 axles**||26,0||35,4||+9,4||+36,2%|
*PRC-Particulate Matter Reduction Classes are retrofit standards for reducing particulate emissions. Category Da requires PMK 1 or higher, Category C requires PMK 2 or higher.
** Tandem axles count as axles, tridem axles count as three axles. Lift and lift axles are always taken into account, regardless of whether a vehicle is loaded or lifted during transport, i.e. has no road contact. Source: Toll Collect / Graphic: DVZ / As of: 25, April 2022 (updated values for vehicles >18 t from 4 axles).
Beginning in 2023, Germany's truck toll fees will increase. This is the outcome of a Federal Ministry of Transport draft that is available to DVZ for the revision of the Federal Highway Toll Act. A new road cost analysis for the years 2023 to 2027 served as the foundation for determining the new toll charges. The higher toll rates for the costs associated with air pollution and noise pollution are what will cause the truck toll to increase, not so much the costs for infrastructure. In general, the rise is bigger the worse the pollution class.
How to calculate toll with IMPARGO
For trucks and vehicle combinations with a gross vehicle weight of 7.5 tonnes or more, tolls are required in Germany. This starts with driving onto any and all federal highways (road types: motorways and federal highways). In order to compute the amount of the toll, each vehicle must be classed in an emission class. The truck’s able count as well as the permitted overall weight - which started back on January 1, 2019. In addition to the toll rate, the number of kilometers subject to toll is recorded with an on-board device from TollCollect and is ultimately what determines the final amount of the toll. The amount that will accrue each kilometer of the traveled distance can be predicted if the vehicle is put into a class based on the above criteria. In Germany, the rate per kilometer ranges from 0.081 to 0.218 euros.
Would you like to calculate your tolls effectively?
Great news! IMPARGO's truck route planner will then help you take over this process in the most efficient way possible.
If you are keen to know about the toll amount per toll provider, free mileage, toll mileage, special tolls for bridges and tunnels, and much more, then IMPARGO CargoApps has an integrated toll calculator for trucks in Europe. With our software, you will be able to get access to the following benefits:
- HGV truck toll calculator for Europe (Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Belgium, etc.). Even for tunnels and bridges, the tolls are available and updated continuously. The thorough overview of tolled and untolled kilometers per country is another feature available to IMPARGO subscribers.
- Accurate and reliable road toll forecasts. The IMPARGO database also immediately implements toll adjustments and new toll highways.
- Preview and analyze tolls. Our database also immediately implements toll adjustments and new toll highways.
- Reduce your toll cost with toll-optimized routing. Plan various routes, including the fastest, the cheapest, as well as the toll-free ones, and avoid toll routes according to your needs.
Digitize your logistics operations overnight, save time and start reducing your toll costs now, try our CargoApps for free now!
What is Toll Collect?
Toll Collect GmbH is a German company - based in Berlin - whose primary responsibility is to legally collect truck tolls in Germany and deliver them to the German Treasury for use in funding road infrastructure. Since 2018, the Federal Republic of Germany has been the only stakeholder of Toll Collect, which is a federal enterprise. The mission of this German government-owned company has been expanded into a service platform for the government itself in infrastructure and digital services on the basis of its core service and core competency in toll collection. For instance, they manage the Federal Mobile Communications Infrastructure Company's development and operations (Mobilfunkinfrastrukturgesellschaft), and they assist the Federal Office for Goods Transport's (BAG) roadside enforcement service.
The implementation of the European Electronic Toll Services (EETS) in Germany has enabled the processing of truck tolls for customers of EETS providers. To ensure uniform toll collection, the Federal Office for Goods Transport (BAG) offers the EETS providers a central toll collection service. The service takes care of finding and pricing any route segments that tolls require.
Furthermore, The German government wants to make sure that funding for federal highways and trunk roads is sustainable and that Germany has a modern, secure, and efficient transportation system. Depending on the distance traveled, the weight class, the number of axles (with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 18 tonnes), and the emission class of the truck, the German Toll Collect toll system gathers the costs. Everyone merely pays for the actual distance traveled in this manner. Toll Collect runs a system that prevents toll collection from obstructing traffic flow.
Toll Collect Online Services
Toll Collect has an online portal for registered customers that offers a wide range of services. Here they can access a variety of information relevant to their multiple inquiries and needs.
- Customer portal. As for the main advantages of using this customer service portal, customers are able to get an overview of their data - such as registered vehicles, current invoicing documents, open invoices, details on their current and not-yet-invoiced journeys. Furthermore, they can create up to ten additional sub-accounts, register vehicles, change vehicle data (e.g. license plate number, number of axles or emission class), and change their contract data.
- Download center. It contains relevant information, registration forms and instructions to use the toll system. The forms are only published in German. Users can however find detailed instructions in their selected language.
- Online guides. These guidelines are made to explain how the toll works. There are two ways to go. One serves to see how the operation of the On-Board Unit works and another, to show how online log-on works, without need of registering.Here, can also see how the interfaces work through the app.
- TOLL2GO. The Austrian toll system generator, ASFINAG, and Toll Collect jointly offer the TOLL2GO service. Through the Toll Collect On-Board Unit, the truck toll can also be paid using this technology in Austria. For those who travel between Austria and Germany, this seems quite convenient. Additionally, if you use Toll Collect and ASFINAG as a customer, this international toll service is free of charge. Customers still have individual contracts with each of the toll operators even though only one On-Board Unit is utilised. Each toll operator must pay the toll calculation separately.
This portal is also compounded by a Questions and Answers (Q&A) section, which respond to different issues such as toll reimbursement, toll-exempt natural gas vehicles, enforcement and data protection. Moreover, by using this page you will be able to find a service partner, order brochures, and get information regarding the toll service for Austria.